Why funeral insurance is important
Funeral insurance is a positive step you can take towards financially protecting your loved ones during a difficult time. It’s an important consideration for those who want to make sure their family can pay any final expenses they leave behind.
A funeral insurance payout makes it easy for your loved ones to cover:
- your funeral service (e.g. burial, cremation, death certificates, flowers, clergy fees)
- bills or expenses you leave behind
- immediate mortgage or loan repayments
- whatever is pressing for your family at the time (e.g. school fees, car loans, groceries).
Who can get funeral insurance?
Anyone can apply for funeral insurance if they’re within a provider’s eligible age range and residency status. Seniors Funeral Insurance guarantees cover for New Zealand Residents aged 18–75 with no medical or blood tests required to apply.
It doesn’t matter what style of send-off you’re after. Be it donating your body to science, getting cremated or having a traditional funeral – a funeral insurance policy will help you achieve it by paying out your benefit in full to your chosen beneficiary to complete your wishes.
Who’s it suited to?
- Those who want convenience. It’s quick and easy to secure a policy over the phone, set up a fortnightly or monthly premium payment at no extra cost, and making a claim when the time comes.
- Those who want flexibility for loved ones. Your family will receive a quick, lump sum payout upon your death to spend as they wish – it’s not just for a funeral service.
- Those who don’t want to make a big financial investment. Unlike pre-paid funeral plans where you need to commit a large payment upfront, you can instead pay a monthly or fortnightly premium for your funeral insurance policy and relax knowing that your family will get the full amount you’re covered for regardless of what you’ve paid in¹.
- Those who don’t want to plan their funeral service upfront. An immediate lump sum payout means you can leave personal details on your funeral wishes in a will for loved ones to follow rather than locking in suppliers and a complete service for your send-off upfront with a funeral director.
What to look out for
Make sure the benefit your family receives is never less than the total premiums you’ve paid. Keep an eye out for these funeral insurance benefits.
- Funeral insurance premiums don’t increase with age. Seniors Funeral Insurance premiums never increase – and in fact, premiums will reduce by 5% for every five years you hold your policy unless you choose to change your cover.
- You don’t pay more than what your family receives. When the time comes, your family will receive your covered amount or all of the premiums you’ve paid in for your cover – whichever is greater unless you change your benefit amount.
- You have an early cash back option. Should your financial circumstances change once you turn 85, you can choose to cancel your cover to receive an Early Cash Back payment of your chosen benefit amount.
If your policy is cancelled prior to age 85, no benefit amount is payable. If you change your cover your premiums will be affected. There is no refund of premiums after the cooling off period. If you choose the Early Cash Back option, you will no longer be eligible to claim and you may receive less than the total premiums you’ve paid into your policy to date.
Considering funeral insurance?
Peace of mind for you and your family
Funeral insurance is a simple way to gain peace of mind. It protects your loved ones during a difficult time – covering funeral costs and other final expenses. It’s quick and easy to secure a policy with no medical or blood tests required. You can also choose the benefit amount (up to $30,000) to ensure your family has enough money to take care of not only your funeral but any unpaid bills, credit cards and other unexpected costs.
Plus, with Seniors Funeral Insurance, the benefit your family receives would never be less than the premiums paid.
How can New Zealand Seniors help?
Seniors Funeral Insurance pays a lump sum to your family (up to $30,000) upon your death for them to spend as they require.
Benefits of Seniors Funeral Insurance
Choose cover that suits you from $3,000 up to $30,000.¹
Get back 10% of premiums you’ve paid in the first 12 months of your policy.
Guaranteed cover for New Zealand Residents aged 18–75.
No medical exams or blood test required.
Triple your benefit amount if your death is the result of an accident (up to $90,000).
Claims usually paid within 1 business day.²
30 day money back guarantee.
Premiums reduce by 5% every five years you hold your policy.
- Cover is for accidental death only in the first 12 months, with cover for all causes of death thereafter.
- From the time completed documentation is received.
How can we help?
To find out more about New Zealand Seniors,
speak to one of our friendly insurance specialists now